Tamper Evident Packaging and How it Can Benefit Your Business
Tamper-evident packaging (TEP) provides many benefits to brands and businesses in any industry, the most evident being security. If you are in pharmaceuticals, tamper-evident packaging is a requirement, in others it provides security throughout the supply chain and purchase by the consumer.
It's important to understand what TEP is, how it can benefit your business and the differences between tamper-evident and tamper-resistant packaging (TRP). With tamper-evidence, its also important to think of the consumer when selecting your packaging materials for product security.
What Is Tamper Evident Packaging?
Tamper evident packaging is packaging that alerts the consumer to foul play or damage to the product. When tamper evident packaging is triggered by attempted removal or manipulation, it leaves evidence of these actions behind. This alerts any would be consumers to the fact that the product has been tampered with and is not safe to use or consume.
Additionally, the resistant packaging must not be readily available to the public, making it less easy to duplicate, and it must include a description of the safety feature on the packaging for easier understanding by the consumer.
An obvious example of this would be pills that are in a clear blister package sealed with foil. If the product has been tampered with, the foil seal will be damaged, making it easy to identify. The foil or other packaging material will also have a warning statement notifying the consumer to look out for this and not to use if the seal is broken.
Types of Tamper Evident Packaging
There are many types of TEP for packaging your products, and selecting the ideal materials for your products will depend on what the product is and the regulations for your industry when it comes to packaging.
When selecting your TEP, keep the consumer in mind. You want your product protected, but not impenetrable. Easy-open packaging is a driver for consumer purchases.,so look for a supplier who can assist you with designing a secure and consumer-friendly package.
- A tamper-evident shrink band is an excellent option for products that have a lid or cap. An example of this is for securing ice-cream lids.
- Jarred foods can also benefit from the shrink seal mentioned above, along with a button-top security lid that makes a noticeable 'pop' when opened for the first time. If there is no pop, the security feature has already been activated on these products and should not be used.
Want to learn more about protective packaging for your products?
- Tamper-evident tapes are available to add security to boxes, envelopes, pallets, crates and bags. These tapes will have wording on them that will offer clear evidence of tampering. Some tapes will leave wording on the package itself if removed.
- Other options may include labeling that provides both security and TEP functions. These may be in the form of RFID embedded underneath the label stock. The ability to track and trace your products through the supply chain is already a big deal in many industries, and is now more than a trend in the manufacturing and retail industry. The ability to easily track your products with newer technologies like RFID in labeling and ink-coding not only protects your business but also protects the consumer from contaminated products or counterfeit items. Utilize an automated labeling system for your packaging line to maximize productivity and protect your product all the way to the retailer and theirs.
- It's important to discuss your options with your supplier for a full understanding of the best TEP options available to you. They can guide you in selecting and implementing cost-effective tamper-evident packaging.
What Is Tamper Resistant Packaging?
Tamper-resistant packaging is separate from yet often confused with tamper-evident packaging. Tamper-resistance is more self-explanatory, it is packaging that is designed to resist access to the product contained within the package. There are many ways to provide product security through TRP.
Shrink film provides an excellent layer of tamper-resistance for almost any product; from foods to software, toys, board games , cosmetics and other consumer goods.
By sealing the product completely in a high-clarity shrink film, you gain product security from packaging to shelf. Additionally, polyolefin shrink films offer an attractive gloss to your product, making it shine on the shelf and direct-to-consumer transactions.
To be tamper-evident, your product must have a visible seal, a visible description of how it works or what to look for in the case that tampering has occurred.
Why Should I Use Tamper Evident Packaging?
In the shortest terms, your products are your businesses income! The revenue is generated by the consumer, and keeping them safe is a priority for brand longevity. These products are most-likely being handled many times over after being packaged; making long journeys to placement in a retail setting or for delivery to the consumer.
TEP can protect your product from opening during shipment and help to reduce your damaged goods. Keeping them protected in durable and appealing packaging is a no-brainer for your customer's safety as well. With the addition of tamper-evidence, you are showing a clear concern for the well-being of the buyer, and that can build consumer loyalty.
Tamper-evidence also speaks to consumer safety when someone with a plan to harm others is looking at your products as their gateway to doing so. Using tamper-evidence in your packaging can deter these tragedies from happening and also prevent lost revenue when the products are handled in the retail environment.
Some consumers want to try-before-they-buy and will try to open the product in-store before purchase. TEP can prevent the item contained from being exposed in these circumstances. If you want to learn more about TEP for your products, connect with one of our packaging professionals today.
About David Roberge
Part of the outstanding Industrial Packaging team. I'm lucky to hang out with some of the most knowledgeable folks in the packaging industry. I feel even luckier to be able to share our knowledge with you. I love learning about our readers and helping them grow their brand through unique, flexible package design from the birth of the product idea, through the supply chain, and to the launch and placement on the shelf or at the consumer's door.